Name:

I'm a technology integrator in Maine, and I'm seeking balance in my life!

Sunday, July 10, 2005

CONNECTIONS-Both Groups

You have learned about three types of connections that readers make when reading books.

1. Text-to-Self. When you are reading your book (Joey Pigza or Hatchet), what about YOU does it make you think of? How might you be similar to a character? Have you ever been in a similar situation as one of the characters? What might you do, if you were in the situation that the character is in?

2. Text-to-Text. When you are reading your book (Joey Pigza or Hatchet), what other books does it make you think of? Are the characters like characters in other books you have read? Is the setting the same as in other books you've read? Have you read other books that were written by the same author or in the same style?

3. Text-to-World. When you are reading your book (Joey Pigza or Hatchet), what other things are you making connections to? Does it make you think of something that's going on in the world or in school or with others?

RESPONSE ASSIGNMENT: Make THREE connections from your reading. You should include one of each type of connection, and fully explain the connections. You MAY (but you don't HAVE TO) use the questions above to guide you.

EXAMPLE from Miss Deshane: When reading Joey Pigza, I compared myself to Joey's teacher. I try to always remember that kids who have difficulties staying out of trouble and staying focused ARE NOT usually doing that on purpose. I want to remember to always look for what my students do to be helpful and kind, and not always the poor choices that they make (Text-to-self). I also thought about the students I mentioned above and how they really do have a lot of energy--they are "wired"--and how that energy can be good or bad, depending on many different things that happen. I hope that I can help them to be "wired glad" more than "wired mad" or "wired sad" (Text-to-world). This book also makes me think of several books for middle school students that are written so that we can learn a lot about a character, from inside of his/her head. Monster, by Walter Dean Myers, is one that I recall being like this. You see what the character does, and you can imagine what other characters think about him/her, but you can also sort of be inside the character's mind, so that you can know what he/she is thinking about and why he/she does things, rather than just the way other people think about him/her (Text-to-text).

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my text to self is when i am always in like a really serious issued like how Brian had the hatchet i have like people protecting me and or something else but not like a gun or a knife but i have other things.
my text to world is like how 9-1-1 happen it is like how Brian plane crashed its just like how the plane in 9-1-1 happen.
my text to text is between the the book sprit bear and this book because in both book they both have a boy that is lost in the woods and they btoh have like a weapon. but in one of the book(sprit bear) he didn't have a plane crash he was sent the because he was bad.
this is my connection

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

text to self-in hathet, he was really thirsty. When we went on the boat trip, we were going to see a boat and to the park when we settled on dock. I was thirsty on our way there. text to self- me and my family went to vietnam to visit our family. Bria went to canada to visit his dad. text to text - in a movie i watch, this guy had a radio in his room and talked to a girl. In this book he used the radio to talk to someone for help. they both used the radio.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My text to slef is it makes me think of how in the world people die from plane crashes. I might be simalar to Brain in a way because if I knew the secret I wouldn't tell it.

My Text-to Text is is about My side of the mountian and Hachet in it they are smart about how to live in the woods and know how to get food.

My Text to World is about the rising deaths in planes and how some people get lost in the woods

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a text to self.My text to self is that I alos don`t sit still like Joey.I alos struggle when I sit in my sit.I sometime don`t listen to the teacter too.This is some of the thing that I`m like Joey.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This book makes me thnk of the speial-ed teacher because she remineds me of me cause she is trying to make Joey to stay still and i am trying to do the same thing to my baby causin. Well i will send joey to a really mental-intasuion. i never had red a book like thiis before. no they are not alike but they are in the same age intrasted. sometimes they are the same cause it takes place at a school. no. that some kids are like him. yes it does makes me think that.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In joey pigza, I relate joey's mother to my mother because every time we go to my grandmother's house in cape verde she always try to do things her way. I'm always there and the way i find it, it is never the same.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To text to self i would say it is almost like with his mom and my mom. but his mom went chasing after his dad but my mom went into the hospital then came back into my life.Text to text i would have to say i read a book called would u dare.and it is about a bot who who would do anything someone would dare him to do.but the only thing is that people dont dare joey to do anything.Text to text is that people who are very hungry out in the world would really do something like that.And to my self i kno that i would do something like that.That is what i think about everything.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no i do not thing i am realated to joey pigza in anyway. my reason is because he be acting real stupid in class.no i have not been in a situation like that. no i have not read a book like that. when im reading abook like that i just think about stuff that is not realated to class.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joey is like my brother who have no life.One time he to my room to me that if I give him a buck he will eat my grandmother food no one like to eat the food she make .Jeoy and I were alike in some way I can not sit still without talking to someone or saying to make someone feel bad .Mom is like me who like to take over thing like the class. She does not care if her son has things going on in the head.Like me do not care about what poeple think about my brother or sisther.So me and her are aliker My text to world alot dad go way from there family when their kids life.Text to book this is like i read a long time a go .The book is call Me AND YOU.and there was a girl who ate something her hair.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My text to self is when iwas a little i was just like joey. I was off the walls.I was running around acting like super hero's. I use to jump around off of couches.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My text to life is about Joey becuase he is a braight kid.The first thing I like about this chapter is that Joey had got mediaine becuase it the thing to him ,he would of known how to stop doing these thing.I can remember that I was doing these things and I didn't get no medication.My point is that I shouldn't do this.Ex] Andrew was only in 2 grade and I didn't know I was doing these.His teacher should of never told him the medcation.This is the only reason why I should of never told my teacher.I still remember this grade bacuase I dream about this,and it hunt me.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another text to world I got about this book is like if a if someone had a heart attack and someone was to witness it would be like how brian witness his pilot die just likke how people notcie people die when they have a heart attack

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My text to self is when I was kinda like Brian when I was little. I only had a couple of friends like him.

My text to world is when there was a kid who use to be in my public school and we use to make fun of her because she had yellow eyes and yellow teeth.

My text to text is this book, Hachet and a series of unfortunate events. They're kinda the same because they both have bad luck.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My text to self is yes i did see someone in the same place as brian
the book im reading in book club this
boy named cole he is on an island too.
I really dont have a text to self or
text to world.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

text to world - in the story brian refers back to the olden days when people made descoveries. in our past our anscetors have made fire by rubbing two sticks together, but brian found another way to make fire.

text to text- in this book there is a big family secret that is the main cause to every thing that goes on. in the book Zach's lie Zach's family nalso has a huge family secret that is the main role in the book. so these two books are kind of similar.


text to self- during brian's long journey he starts to realize a positive change in himself,my journey is my expreince in epiphany so far, and i also have seen a difference in my life. as a result of this i think that life is full of journeys and as we finish one journey it is a new part of us growing to be the responsible adult that most people dream of becoming.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home